Search This Blog

Monday, September 5, 2011

A Year of Decorating Challenges: #2 ...

In the year of 2010, my challenge was to find the perfect cheesecake recipe.  I baked cheesecake after cheesecake until I couldn't stand the sight of cream cheese in my fridge.  Seems that this year, aside from picking up crocheting, "extreme" cake decorating is the 2011 baking challenge.  ("Extreme" being relative since I'm nowhere near an "Ace of Cakes" or a "Cake Boss" by any means but extreme in that it's not my uusal psuedo Boston Creme Pie mini cupcakes.) 

As a refresher, it started with a request a coworker made for his birthday at the beginning of the year:  a Weinerschnitzel Chili Cheese Dog made completely out of cake.  I don't think he was serious about it or expected that I would even try.  But try I did.  Aside from making my kitchen a tornado of cake crumbs, I did manage to end up with this ... his entire usual order at Weinerschnitzel made out of cake (Dr. Pepper really is a can of Dr. Pepper soda): 



buns = yellow loaf cake
cheese = vanilla pudding
hot dog = white cake colored red and carved into a hot dog
chili = chocolate frosting mixed with a little milk and chocolate sprinkles as the beef
mini corn dogs = hot dog, corn bread batttered and fried
yustard = vanilla frosting colored yellow

This time, I was given the challenge of making a celebratory dessert for Tuesday Music Night that covered all the things one of my music partners loves:  anything pink, anything heart shaped, and anything with Hello Kitty.  Here's how it turned out ...


I don't know if you can see it but that's a heart inside the cupcake.  I didn't put enough food coloring into the batter so the pink is very light but it's definitely in there.  And I didn't forget to include accents of Hello Kitty.  It's not quite as pretty as the inspiration by http://madewithloveby.me/2011/03/how-to-bake-a-heart-into-your-cupcakes/  but I modified it so that I wouldn't have to worry about which side to eat from.  Plus, the cake batter isn't from scratch.  It's all by Mr. Betty Crocker so it's very fluffy and not made for carving.  And I didn't use fondant for decorating but rather a pink cream cheese frosting taken from http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotCupcake.html.  This time, kitchen is not only covered in cake crumbs, but also frosting and I'm covered in sugar.  O_o  So much for cleaning all this weekend.  Have to start all over now.


No comments:

Post a Comment